Given that I ended up using 3 cm screws for attaching the PTFE disks to the underside of the x-stage, necessitating removal of part of the baseboard to provide enough clearance, that means that my y-stage isn't going to slide over the x-stage. Ooops. Should have thought of this earlier.
Now I know why the other B&Qer used bigger u-channel (ie taller rails).
I have several options:
- buy bigger channel (2.5 cm instead of 2 cm) and, basically, start again
- use the PTFE sheet (3 mm think) instead of the MDF (6 mm thick) to make the pivot arms
- cut my disks smaller (and I only did all the cutting of those yesterday - cutting them thinner will be difficult to say the least)
- put a strip of MDF under the y-rails to raise their height (adds 6 mm clearance) - probably the easiest option, although insufficient (use 2 strips??)
- all of the above to get enough height?!
I wonder if I'll have to do this for the z-stage as well?